Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Between The Fences

The 2009 Applefest is adding a new category to their Photo Contest called Between the Fences. This is in conjunction with the Historical Society that has been chosen to host a Smithsonian traveling exhibit by the same name.



The flier goes on to explain -- Between the Fences examines the multiple meanings behind the everyday icon. Whether made of split rails, decorative white pickets, or tall chain link, a fence conveys information abut the people who built it, how they view and use their property, and the nature of their relations with their neighbors.



It further goes on to say -- Fences are not always tangible objects. As a community, we may build fences between ourselves and others. These division my be of race, culture, religion or politics....



I thought it was a very interesting challenge. So I thought I'd give it a try. These are my first three attempts. The chain link is my favorite of the three.

No comments: